A History of Kingston WelCare
Kingston WelCare came into being in 1886 when “young unmarried girls expecting babies” were offered support and a room at a house in Richmond Park Road in Kingston. First governed by the Kingston & District Moral Welfare Association, a related service continues to this day. The first constitution was adopted on 1st December 1953 with the objective to promote the Christian faith, as expressed in the social mission of the Church, in the Anglican Deanery of Kingston and the Association was renamed “Kingston & District Wel-Care Association” in 1971. Kingston WelCare seeks to express the Church’s mission through its work with families. It has developed expertise in supporting parents and uses this expertise to help some of the most vulnerable families in the Borough through current inhouse Project, Families Apart, which works with prisoners’ families as well as a variety of groups, classes and activities.
Kingston WelCare operates from WelCare House where the facilities include a purpose built playroom, a child-friendly garden, a resource room with access to computers, a Cafe, a purpose designed and built kitchen and local information and children’s books as well as other meeting rooms for parents. It employs staff qualified in child-care and parenting support. WelCare House also operates as a community building. Upstairs office space is let to Kingston Bereavement Service. WelCare continues the policy begun in 2011 of expanding its offer of free use of its facilities to other agencies or parents wishing to set up family groups or activities compatible with its key aims. WelCare operates for four days a week and at other times and in the evenings the space is used by other voluntary and community organisations.
Please, watch the video below to find out more about the History of Kingston WelCare and how YOU can help us to do further research on our origins.
The Trustees consider that the activities undertaken, offered at no or minimal cost, provide benefit to both parents and their children in the community and confirm that in exercising their powers and duties, they have complied with their duty to have due regard to the guidance on public benefit published by the Charity Commission and have complied with their duties under Section 17 of the Charities Act 2011.